There are Many Benefits to Taking Your Child to a Pediatric Chiropractor.
At Anchor Health & Wellness Center we treat patients of all ages, and we find not all parents know that their children can receive gentle and effective chiropractic care to help with many ailments ranging from growing pains to earaches. Chiropractic care does not have an age limit, from gentle care for infants, to injury treatment for athletes and everything in between, chiropractic care can improve overall health and wellness more than most people realize. We serve Livonia, Farmington and the surrounding areas with quality pediatric chiropractic care.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Children
Any parent knows that children grow fast. This growth can cause pain and soreness in your child, and if the spine is misaligned due to a seemingly minor injury it can cause chronic pain and posture issues. Chiropractic care for children is effective for treating more than the posture though. Conditions treated include pain in the body ranging from legs, back, shoulders, or neck, headaches and/or migraines, movement issues, joint pain, and developmental delays. Beyond treating these conditions, chiropractic care can help improve posture, body awareness, and even improve sports skills over time. Many parents take their children to see a chiropractor for conditions such as sinuses and earaches with effective pain relieving results that require no antibiotics or pain medications
Chiropractic Care for Kids in Farmington: Why Your Kids Benefit
Chiropractic care is a holistic, non-invasive way of improving health, improving well-being, and boosting overall quality of life. For chiropractic care for kids in Farmington, give our team a visit. We'll provide you with one-on-one support and a full consultation to discuss how well this service can help your children. Some key reasons to bring your child in for chiropractic care include:
- Young children, even infants, benefit from spinal adjustments, especially if there were any complications during labor such as a baby being born breech.
- Children experiencing breastfeeding difficulties, reflux, colic, allergies, and chronic infections can often suffer a misalignment of the spine that makes these complications more likely.
- As children get older, falls as well as sports can trigger an injury to the spinal column, causing misalignment. Even a playground bump or fall can be enough to cause this to occur.
When you bring your child in to see your Farmington chiropractor, we'll provide a thorough examination and then provide recommendations for care. With chiropractic care and massage in Farmington readily available, it's always a good idea to bring your child in to learn more. We recommend bringing your child in if they experience any of the following symptoms:
- Neck pain
- Shoulder or arm pain
- Back pain of any type
- Pain in their legs
- Joint pain
- Headaches or migraines
- Limited movement
- Developmental delays of any type
Spinal Development in Children
The Importance of Posture and the Nervous System
Primary and secondary curves
- The kyphotic curves in the thoracic spine and sacral spine develop before birth to allow room for the organs in the abdomen and pelvis.
- These curves will contribute to the C-shape curve present at birth and during the first few months of life.
- The lordotic curves in the cervical spine and lumbar spine develop as babies learn to lift their heads up and begin to walk.
- These curves will contribute to the eventual formation of the fully mature adult spine with four curvatures.
Adult Spine has 4 Curves
The fully developed adult spine is ideally suited to naturally absorb physical stress and tension, while still providing protection for the nervous system and a wide range of mobility for the body.
An infant’s spine will double in size in their first 2 years.
Development of Spinal Curvatures in Infants
Abnormal curvatures of the developing spine
Scoliosis – an abnormal ”C” shape or “S” Shape sideways curve of the spine that develops during childhood or rarely in the presence of pathologies.
Hyperkyphosis – an excessive kyphotic curve of the thoracic spine (greater than 50 degrees). Also referred to as “hunchback”.
Hyperlordosis – an excessive lordock curve of the lumbar spine (to the point of pain or spasms). also referred to as "swayback"
Abnormal curvatures can potentially lead to altered biomechanics and early degeneration of the spine.
Can chiropractic help ensure proper spinal development?
- Chiropractors are experts in spinal health and can help ensure your growing child has optional spinal function and a nervous system free of interference.
- No single treatment method alone has been shown in the correction of abnormal spinal curvatures. however, case studies and pilot studies indicate that early intervention with conservative case has the potential to stop or reverse abnormal curvatures, thereby reducing the need for more invasive or undesirable interventions later on.
- If you have concerns about your child’s proper spinal development, a chiropractic assessment can help you get answers and develop a successful plan for management for your child’s spinal health.
The basics of spinal development
- An infant's spine will double in size in their first 2 years. This is the structure that provides protection to your nervous system.
- Since the brain, spinal cord and spinal nerves are responsible for your baby's immune system, it's important these structures develop properly to promote best health and functioning. The integrity of the spine is integral to how your baby heals, functions and ultimately how healthy they are.
- A fully developed spine will have 4 curves, these form as a developing skeletal structure adapts to gravity.
- Infants are born with only one C-shape curve which develops in utero and persists for the new months of their life. Your newborn will tuck their legs into a frog leg positions, thighs pulling up toward the chest, while lying on their belly or when being picked up. This fetal tuck maintains the primary curve which reduces the pressure on the spine and hips and is also the most calming position for your new baby. They will use less oxygen, conserve energy, waste fewer calories and digest food better. This is also the best position for regulating body temperature.
- A baby that is left in a container of any sort (bassinet, car seat, swing, etc.) for any length of time will have gravity adding extra pressure to a developing cervical spine. This may flatten or straighten the cervical curve which causes a decrease in muscle tone of the entire body.
- The cervical lordosis develops in the first few months as the posterior neck muscles get stronger to hold the head up against gravity.
- The lumbar lordosis develops between 6-12 months as babies begin cross crawling and cruising.
- Eventually when all four curvatures have developed, they can support themselves upright while walking.
Chiropractic and your child
Chiropractors are wellness experts and can advice you on all components of living a wellness lifestyle. As part of your child’s wellness lifestyle, it is important for them to be checked regularly by your family chiropractor for the presence of vertebral subluxations. Your chiropractor is an expert in the detection and correction of subluxations, removing nervous system interference and allowing your child’s body to express its full healing potentials. If you have any concerns about the skeletal development of your child your chiropractor may also able to help.
Reference to all information included in this brochure can be found at wellnessmediaresources.com. The information contained in this material is for educational purposes only and not intended to specifically diagnose or treat any condition. Please consult with your healthcare provider for advice that is specific and appropriate for your needs.
It is our goal to ensure your child has every tool available to help them grow and thrive in the best manner possible. A visit with your Farmington chiropractor can help to make that possible.
Contact Us for To Schedule Your Child's Pediatric Chiropractic Appointment.
Call us at Anchor Health & Wellness Center to schedule your child's pediatric chiropractic appointment. Whether your child has "growing pains", shows signs of developmental delays, or you just want to see how chiropractic care can help with a condition, come for a consultation to discuss your options. We treat patients from Livonia, Farmington and the surrounding areas so call today for chiropractic care for your whole family. (248) 471-1250