Sciatica Relief from Chiropractic in Farmington, Farmington Hills, Livonia, MI
Many patients who have heard of sciatica are surprised to discover that it is not an actual disorder. It is a sign of an underlying problem, according to our chiropractor in Farmington and Farmington Hills, MI. Our Farmington chiropractor offers several types of therapy at Anchor Holistic Health to relieve sciatic nerve pain.
What is Sciatica?
The sciatic nerve originates in the lower back. It consists of branches of roots of nerves in the lumbar spine. This nerve – the largest in the body – runs through the pelvis and into each buttock. It then travels down each leg. Parts extend into the thigh, the calf, the foot, and the toes.
Sciatica is the name for the pain that travels along this nerve when something puts pressure on at least one lumbar nerve root. Our Farmington Hills chiropractor cites six frequent causes:
- A lumbar herniated disk (slipped disk)
- Degenerative disk disease
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Piriformis syndrome
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
Patients with sciatic nerve pain might experience discomfort so severe that it is debilitating. Others note signs that are irritating but infrequent and that could worsen at some point. For most, the severity of leg pain is much greater than that of lower back pain. Many individuals who suffer from sciatica describe burning or searing sensations that resemble electrical shocks traveling along a leg.
How do you get Sciatica?
It's easy to trace some spinal problems to an event, such as a car accident. Yet, sciatica is often the result of cumulative damage. Years of bad posture, poor muscle tone, excess weight or countless other causes set the stage. Then, something simple like bending over to tie your shoes, can trigger an episode.
Our chiropractor in Farmington notes that most patients experience a combination of these symptoms:
- Constant pain that resides on one side of a leg or a buttock
- Discomfort starting in the lower back or in a buttock and traveling along the sciatic nerve to the lower portion of the leg and the foot
- Pain that gets worse when sitting or standing and improves when lying down or walking
- Sharp or searing pain rather than a dull sensation
- A prickling sensation, weakness, or numbness in a leg
- A sensation of numbness or weakness when a leg or a foot moves
- Shooting or severe pain in a leg so significant that it is hard to walk or even stand
- Discomfort in the toes
- Lower back pain, typically less severe than leg pain
Sciatica Treatment in Farmington
Chiropractic is ideal for sciatica treatment in Farmington because it brings relief using noninvasive and nonsurgical therapies. Our Farmington chiropractor treats and manages sciatica using gentle methods:
- Adjustments improve alignment of the spinal column, which helps a number of conditions that cause sciatic pain.
- Massage therapy increases circulation, relaxes muscles, and releases endorphins – natural substances the body produces to relieve pain.
- Physical therapy focuses on stretching, strengthening, and aerobic conditioning to speed recovery.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Farmington Hills Chiropractor
To take the first step toward sciatica treatment in Farmington, schedule a consultation with our Farmington Hills chiropractor, Dr. Michele Foxworthy. Anchor Holistic Health has provided the highest standard of chiropractic care in Farmington since 1983. Call us today at (248) 471-1250 to schedule your appointment.